What is Email marketing?
The best possible way “Email Marketing” can be defined is, “The use of email to develop & grow relationships with potential customers”.
Email marketing is a very crucial segment of internet marketing. It’s very similar to direct mail except that, instead of sending mail through the postal service, here messages are sent electronically via email.
At its best, email marketing facilitates businesses to keep their customers informed and tailor their marketing messages to their potential customers.
- There are approximately 3.7 billion email users active in the world today, with the figure likely to increase to 4.3 billion by 2022. This makes email marketing a viable approach to put your efforts into, especially as the ROI for it is around 3,800%. It also remains an important source of information for B2B companies.
- Are you aware that there are 3x more email accounts than Facebook & Twitter accounts combined? Or, you are 6x more prone to get a click-through from email than on Twitter?
As a savvy marketer, you would have probably scanned the reports that bestow email has the highest ROI of any marketing channel available & you’re now probably very keen to start using it to drive sales & revenue for your business.
In this blog , we will take you through the entire process of getting started with email marketing to help ensure your first campaign is a real success.
Top 5 benefits of email marketing
- UNRIVALED RETURN ON INVESTMENT – In this endless growing business world, results are arguably all that matters at the end. This is the main reason why most businesses invest in email marketing that is a fantastic return on investment. According to the DMA, the ROI for email rose from an estimated £30.03 for every £1 spent in 2016 to £32.28 in 2017.
Email continues to be the most productive marketing channel available to every business. Perhaps it’s high time for your business to start making email marketing a priority.
- INSTANT & LONGER IMPACT – Due to the immediacy of email, any business can start noticing results within minutes of its emails being sent. A 24-hour sale is one of the brilliant marketing ploys that can be used by email, as it creates a sense of urgency & convinces subscribers to take quick action.
For example, you can convince someone to choose your product or service, nurture the customer relationship post-transaction & also encourage future purchases.
- REACH A GLOBAL AUDIENCE – Which another marketing platform allows you to instantly send a message to thousands of people across the world? Sure, social media can help you spread a message amongst a global audience – but there’s no telling who’s actually reading that particular message or piece of content.
- EASY TO MEASURE – Another benefit of email marketing is that it’s simple to measure where you’re going wrong or incorrect.
Most of the email marketing software trending in the market will allow you to track open, click-through & conversion rates, making it very simple & easy to spot how your campaign can be improved. Appropriate changes can be made almost immediately too, whereas print or broadcast advertising requires quite a bit of effort to alter.
- LOW COSTS – One of the most obvious benefits of email marketing is its lower cost equated to mainstream marketing channels. There are no print or postage costs & no fees paid in dialogue for exposure on a certain billboard, magazine or any television channel.
Admitted, there may be a petite overhead for sending thousands of emails at a time, but these costs are far cheaper than what you would be supposed to pay practicing other marketing channels.
Top 5 Email Marketing Strategies
SEND EMAILS AT THE RIGHT TIME
Driving users to open, click-through & share your emails produces a snowball effect.
It leads to more traffic, more subscribers & more customer conversions. You can get all these by sending your emails at the right times.
The right times are when your current subscribers are likely to open, read & visit your website & even share the content with their network on social media.
According to a report, the best times to send emails are 6:00 am, 10:00 am, 2:00 pm, 8:00 pm, 10:00 pm & 12:00 pm.
Don’t just send emails during these times. Test other times too & examine opens, click-throughs & visits you got.
USE ONE CALL-TO-ACTION IN EACH MAIL
A call-to-action (CTA) is the button or link you put inside your email that asks prospects to buy your product or start a free trial. CTAs can be like “Buy Now,” “Click here to get this now,” “Click here to tell me in the comments,” “Browse Catalog,” or “Get a free consultation” or anything related to the content. Conversion, revenue & profit all these depend on the effectiveness of your CTA.
Your CTA should be appealing to your email subscribers.
Question: – How many CTAs should you have per message?
Answer: – One.
USE SOCIAL PROOF TO SELL ON EMAILS
The concept of social proof has been since the beginning of human beings. Our ancestors acquired important survival skills by copying & following each other.
For example, you see a restaurant with zero reviews or negative reviews on Yelp. Then you see another restaurant with hundreds of reviews on Yelp & many of them +ve.
Which restaurant are you likely to go?
Undoubtedly, a restaurant with lots of reviews.
Social proof has a great influence on what we buy & from where we will?
Digital marketers tend to use social proof on almost every marketing channel & email is not an exception.
Your email marketing messages is a compelling & perfect channel to use social proof too.
Amazon uses email messages as another possibility to collect more ratings & reviews from their users/customers.
They know the importance of those ratings & reviews are on their platform.
Once you build your email list to a certain good number, you should start using it as social proof on your website.
Another solid way to use social proof is to share clients’ success stories with your email subscribers.
It reports subscribers who are still on the fence that people are getting real results using your product. This increases their confidence in your product’s ability to give them results too.
ADD URGENCY TO YOUR EMAILS
If your emails put recipients under a +ve pressure to act, you will probably convert more subscribers into customers.
Digital marketers have been using phrases like “Act now,” “Hurry,” and “Only a few items left” to convert web users to their successful leads.
Urgency is a key feature of the human brain. Urgent situations make us act very quickly.
Amazon uses urgency a lot.
One of the most effective ways to create urgency in emails is to set a deadline for your offer.
For example, Ramit Sethi uses deadlines in his emails.
You can create urgency through scarcity.
Birchbox does that.
You can also use time-related words/phrases like “click now,” “instant,” and “fast” to inject urgency into your email messages.
Cliffhangers are mostly used in movies and fiction books.
But modern & smart digital marketers are opting to tap into the power of cliffhangers.
What is a cliffhanger?
Cliffhangers are what happens at the end of a book chapter, or an episode that leaves you in suspense.
TV stations use it to keep you seated & not touch that dial.
To make a subscriber open your next email & drive him/her more & more excited to open the next & next ones, you need cliffhangers.
If your subscribers are not feeling excited to open your emails, it will be tough to keep them as active subscribers for a long time.
Brian Dean is a master user of cliffhangers.
Here’s an email where he used it at the end of the message:
It helps keep his/her subscribers excited for the next email from him.
And we want you to be excited for our next blog EMAIL MARKETING – THE EVERGREEN MARKETING (PART-2) which will be highlighting “Email-Marketing Tips & Tricks 2019 & Future Trends.”
Keep reading & learning!